Sunday, June 12, 2011

Two Places at Once

Almost a week before my arrival to Brooklyn, New York, I received some disturbing information that interrupted my excitement of returning.Something major had occurred, and no I did not receive this information through a phone call, a letter, or a picture, but by online news websites and something we all do known as "Video Streaming." In just a 15 minute drive from my house on "Brooklyn-Queens" day, "Brighton Beach" was a victim of a fatal shooting. To my knowledge this event has never happened before, so it came as a surprise to hear about this. One teenager was killed, and others were wounded.

At first I was reading of the horrific details in the "Daily News" (A well known newspaper) online. Envisioning the details encouraged my resignation, so for personal relief, I turned to another social "Media" outlet: "Twitter." After a short hiatus, my timeline had fully loaded, and once again there it was ... the "Brighton Beach Shooting." After reading a few comments, rationalizing tweets, and concluding a feeling of sadness, someone posted a link to view the aftermath of this event. A young media examiner in the making, I felt it was necessary to explore this link.

After 2-3 viewing, I was struck with grief. Not because I knew any of the victims, but because something like this could happened. During my time alone, something hit me. If I was this age twenty year ago, would I have been able to see this? Word of mouth is one thing, but in a way I was at two places at once. There is no longer a middle man, everything I want, I could see. If someone wanted to see me, they could do it in a click of a button. Social media has changed the world that we once knew, creating what I like to call a "Fast Food Generation," delivering the world's needs in less than 5 minutes. Things like this started to play on the imagination, so I digressed.When you really think about how media has affected our everyday life's, it is kind of scary, creating a "Co-dependency" in many people's life's.

Link Attached below "Viewer's discretion"http://soweak.com/video/brighton-beach-brooklyn-ny-shooting

No comments:

Post a Comment